Windows and VMware : System Admin Responsibilities
Its been a very long time since my last post, apologize for not being in touch with our community since last few days and I will try to keep this blog updated as much as I can. I have been receiving so many emails about Windows Admin Responsibilities, so I though of publishing the real time information which can be useful for most of us.
I have gained 10+ years of experience in this industry by working in various roles till date, I am going to extract the useful information out of this experience and make it a readable resource.
Instead of listing out regular responsibilities from job portals I will list out my responsibilities from various companies which makes this post more useful and realistic
I am not saying that these responsibilities are same for one and all, they will change accordingly depending on accepted roles at times, hence don't consider these as benchmarks.
Here comes my responsibilities so far.
Company 1 (Entry level)
- Windows desktops management and administration
- Troubleshooting issues related to windows client OS and desktop applications
- Email account configuration on Outlook and troubleshooting
- Installation of software on end user desktops
- Maintaining inventory of software and hardware
- Creation of user accounts in Active Directory and Password resets
- Resolving issues related to network connectivity (some times network card issues, dns issues, switch issues etc)
- User profile issues and user profile backup’s
Company 2 (Mid level)
- Exposure to multiple platforms such as Windows, VMware, Linux and Solaris
- Troubleshooting L1 and L2 issues in Windows
- Remote installation of operating systems through iLO, DRAC etc
- Installation and Configuration of ESX servers, vCenter servers and Storage etc.
- Working on tickets related to operating system issues and application issues
- Building SQL clusters with two nodes
- Configuring low level san devices HP Storage works
- Active Directory topology and replication issues
- Following ITIL process for change/incident/problem management
Company 3 (Mid level)
- Working on regular tickets
- Implementation of virtual desktop infrastructure for one of our biggest client
- Monitoring windows infrastructure and troubleshooting L2/L3 issues
- Installation/Upgradation of VMware Environments
- Troubleshooting performance issues related to Virtual Infrastructure
Company 4 (Senior level)
- Working on regular tickets, our ticketing tool is JIRA
- Handling L3 issues related to Windows and VMware environments
- Active Directory replication and in depth issues
- Handling server patching using Kaseya/SCCM
- Fixing security vulnerabilities
- Implementation and administration of VMware Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
- Troubleshooting issues related to VDI Components and end user issues
- Firmware upgrades on Physical servers and fixing hardware related issues
If you like this post, please subscribe now and post your comments in return below..